I'm a little late to the game here on recapping and reviewing 2017, but there's nothing special about January 1, right? 2017 started out HARD. Really hard. And as the year went on, it got better, but was still hard in other ways. This year looked nothing like I thought it would, but when I look back over my goals from January 2016 and the high points and low points throughout the year, one thing clearly stood out - God heard me, and either answered my prayers ...or adjusted my desires, goals, and plans to match His.
I entered 2017 healing from a surgery. I learned boundaries and got rid of some toxic people and toxic things in my life that weren't serving me well, but were rather draining my energy. I had hard conversations. I fought through some of my stubbornness (some of it). I also fought for and stood up for myself. We laid my grandaddy to rest. I learned to say NO. I made new friends. I spent time with and worked with super talented and creative people, and we created beautiful things for our clients and were published on Ruffled. I traveled to Costa Rica, sat on the beach, hiked, visited a coffee and chocolate plantation, and soaked in a hot spring. I learned all about home insurance and hail storms. I unexpectedly met someone I adore and who treats me better and loves me more than I ever thought possible. I planned, designed, and coordinated 12 weddings and one styled editorial shoot in 7 months. I celebrated answered prayers alongside friends and wept with others whose prayers didn't go as planned. I continually learned how to streamline and simplify so I had some semblance of balance in my life. I also learned to give myself grace when I couldn't do ALLTHETHINGS.
2017 was the year I learned how to find joy and stay hopeful in the midst of sorrow. And it's not always pretty, but that's real life.
And if you want more real life, you can follow along on my personal Instagram account. It's not perfectly curated. (I don't have enough brain or heart space for that.) It's not all weddings and events. But it's real. It's personal: home, health, selfies, travel, books, clothes, meals, and probably a bunch of other random stuff. Because 2018 isn't going to be focused on being perfect.
Other fun things from 2017...
BOOKS I READ:
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
- Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller
- Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin
- Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist
- The Curated Closet by Anuschka Rees
- Uninvited by Lysa Terkeurst
- The Couple Next Door by Shair Lapena
- What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast by Laura Vanderkam
- Cupcakes and Cashmere at Home by Emily Schuman
- Lazy Perfection by Jenni Patinkin
- A Simplified Life by Emily Ley
- Traction by Gino Wickman
MUSIC I ENJOYED:
- Kip Moore
- Thomas Rhett
- Mumford & Sons
- Eric Hutchinson
- Miranda Lambert
- Ed Sheeran
- Leon Bridges
- Maren Morris
TRIPS I TOOK:
- Fayetteville, NC to visit family
- Costa Rica for a fun trip
- Lake Lure for a quick "beach fix"
- Charlotte for a concert
- The Highlands & Cashiers for a day trip and wine tasting
- Charleston (twice!) for a fun trip and a client's wedding
- Atlanta for a client meeting
- Asheville for shopping
BEAUTY & SKINCARE PRODUCTS I LOVED:
- Beauty Counter's Countermatch Eye Rescue Cream
- The best whitening toothpaste I've ever used
- Benefit POREfessional Primer
- Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush
RESTAURANTS I LOVED:
- Caviar & Bananas (Greenville, SC)
- Jianna (Greenville, SC)
- Happy & Hale (Greenville, SC)
- Hominy Grill (Charleston, SC)
- Coast Bar & Grill (Charleston, SC)
- The Ugly Dog Pub (Highlands, NC)
PODCASTS I ENJOYED:
BLOGS I LOVED:
WEDDINGS WORKED: 12
EDITORIAL STYLED SHOOTS DIRECTED: 1
Here's to 2018, and all that is to come!
With grit and a whole lot of grace,